Several of my clients ask me regarding the big square box inside the center area of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind some self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan and it may either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Utilize it only when the temperature and humidity outside is far more favorable compared to conditions indoors. Should your air conditioner system has become operating throughout the day, along with the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity is still high), don’t turn the Tumblr. The vent will suck all the humid air to your air conditioned house
* The best time periods to utilize it would be, obviously, early morning and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it is probably not a great idea to bring all the pollution to the house. Your window screens will stop a number of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and forces you to sneeze more than ever.
1. Prior to turn the fan on, open as many doors and windows as possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (when they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of your whole house fan (at least at the highest speed) is very great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air externally through any possible openings like, as an example, from your chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and you don’t eliminate the ashes… well, it’s gonna be a mess. When it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it might blow off of the pilots.
2. When all things are ready, you may activate the whole house fan and in most cases within the next couple of seconds you ought to feel lots of exterior air flowing throughout the house. Unless…
3. This part is essential as opening the doors and windows – both need to be balanced to function properly so that you can really take advantage of the whole house fan operation. The air drawn with the whole house fan should be discharged with the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area will result in the atmosphere which had been just pulled from your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps from the attic wh0le as well as the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation is probably not enough to back up the read review operation; you might need a lot more to carry all of that extra number of air to the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the sq footage in the attic vents required to discharge that air is very simple. You simply need the size of all of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, plus a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate all the rooms in your home you think must be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the portion of the required attic vents (these combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. When the house you’re getting into offers the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that this was properly sized up due to its purpose (there might be a tag about the unit itself), which is to replace your home air within just a couple minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the complete house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as an optimal time to the house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d have to divide your house total air volume (6550 cubic feet from my sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That may give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute).
6. Another important thing: louvers from the tumblr are certainly not air tight and have no insulation put on their surface; they leak air between your house and attic. I might highly recommend installing a complete house fan cover in attic area to avoid air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to get rid of it before you decide to make use of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and lots of people never use them, nevertheless they might benefit your wallet when you apply the above. There are actually currently other kinds of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – three times) but very quiet, better, and provide air flow for longer periods of time.